Sunday, June 29, 2014

Plastered to Paneled (foyer transformation, part 2)

Hi friends! I previously showed you guys the foyer. Do you remember it in all of its plastered glory?


It wasn't our style, so we decided to change things up a bit for our entry way. Ever since we did our guest bath in the townhouse, I have been itching to do another paneled room. And it gave me an awesome way to cover up all of that plaster.


There were a few spots that had thicker plaster than others, so hubs had to remove it by using a scraping tool and some major elbow grease. Again, there weren't that many bad spots, so this only took about 20 minutes total to do.


After drooling over several tutorials found on pinterest, we were ready to start our project. 

First, hubs measured all of the walls and the ceilings to determine how much wood we would need. We then went to Home Depot and purchased large sheets of sanded plywood (4ft x 8ft). They ran about $22/sheet. We estimated we would need 12 sheets to complete our project.

We then had the nice guys at Home Depot take the 12 sheets and cut them into 6 inch strips. Did you guys know they will cut wood for FREE?! It's true. They cut each sheet 8 times, totaling 96 cuts. We were super thankful Hubs didn't have to cut all of that. 


Once we got home, Hubs got out his trusty nail gun, a level, some adhesive, and a quarter. 

He wanted to make sure the first row was perfect, so he got out his level to be certain. After that, it was pretty easy to keep things on track.  Each panel got a glob of glue. We then used a quarter to work as our spacer between the boards. Once it was in place, he secured the boards to the wall with his nail gun.



We really thought this process would fly by. We were so wrong. Measuring, cutting, sanding (only when the edges looked rough from the cuts), gluing, and nailing every square inch of wall AND ceiling, took so.much.time. It was a really slow process. And a messy one too.



Once all the boards were up (four days later), we added some trim. We opted to go with lattice. It's economical and it looks nice. WIN WIN.

The previous crown and base molding stayed. The lattice worked as a transition piece.







Once the paneling was all up, we decided it was time to paint. For one minute we thought about staining everything a light gray... but then I thought it might be too dark. 

We chose Martha Stewart's Glass of Milk for the walls, and a bright white for the ceiling and trim.





Parker was NOT impressed with the mess or the fact that he wasn't cuddling in a lap.



I wasn't excited about the mess either, but it was worth it. Can't wait to share the reveal tomorrow. Check back! Hope you guys had an awesome weekend. Talk soon, friends.

xoxo,

1 comment:

Ruth said...

It looks amazing. And y'all totally amaze me I can't do much more than paint around my house.